This is a short post to say that I have started and am managing a Slack channel for lesswrong.
Slack has only an email-invite option which means that I need an email address for anyone who wants to join. Send me an Email
PM with your email address if you are interested in joining.
There is a web interface and a mobile app that is better than google hangouts.
If you are interested in joining; consider this one requirement:
- You must be willing to be charitable in your conversations with your fellow lesswrongers.
To be clear; This means (including but not limited to);
- Steelman not strawman of discussion
- Respect of others
I would like this to have several goals and purposes (some of which were collaboratively developed with other lesswrongers in the chat, and if more come up in the future too that would be good)
- an aim for productive conversations, to make progress on our lives.
- a brains trust for life-advice in all kinds of areas where, “outsource this decision to others” is an effective strategy.
- collaborative creation of further rationality content
- a safe space for friendly conversation on the internet (a nice place to hang out)
- A more coherent and stronger connected lesswrong
- Development of better ideas and strategies in how to personally improve the world.
So far the chat has been operating by private invite from me for about two weeks as a trial. Since this post was created we now have an ongoing conversation with exciting new ideas being produced all the time. If nothing else – its fun to be in. If something – we are generating a growing space for rationality and other ideas. I have personally gained two very good friends already; that I now talk to every day. (Which coincidentally slowed me down from posting this notice because I was too busy with other things and learning from new people)
I realise this type of medium is not for all. But I am keen to make it work.
I also realise that when people
PM email me their email addresses – other people will not see how many of you have already signed up. So generally assume that there have been others who are already signed up and don’t hesitate to join. If you are wondering if you have anything to contribute; that’s exactly the type of person we want to be inviting. By doing that thought you classify yourself as the type of person to try harder. We want you (and others) to talk with us.
Edit: Topics we now host;
- Art and media
- Goals of lesswrong
- Human Relationships
- political talk
- real life advice
- Resources and links
- and some admin channels; the “welcome”, “misc”, and “RSS” from the lw site.
Edit: a week’s review for the first week of august in 2015: http://lesswrong.com/lw/msa/open_thread_sep_21_sep_27_2015/crk1
Edit – first week of October: http://lesswrong.com/r/discussion/lw/mub/open_thread_oct_5_oct_11_2015/csr3
Edit – 3rd week in october 2015: http://lesswrong.com/r/discussion/lw/mwt/open_thread_oct_26_nov_01_2015/cuq5
Edit – 3rd week in november 2015 http://lesswrong.com/r/discussion/lw/mzz/open_thread_nov_23_nov_29_2015/cwyl